Monday, July 04, 2005


Has Chuck Palahnuik lost it?

I just finished reading his new collection of short stories titled "Haunted" and was incredibly disappointed. The plot is based around a group of people that sign up to go on a writer's retreat for three months. The retreat location ends up to be an abandoned movie theatre, where the group is locked and held against their will. Each person is forced to write a poem, and short "dark" story based on their life. I liked the basis of the book, but I feel that Palahniuk dropped the ball in terms of character development and emotional attachement to the said characters (which is prevalent in his past work). I could care less that characters were cutting off limbs and committing suicide, because I didnt really have a feel for who they were. Overall, it's not terrible (I'd rather read this than some shit Oprah book club book), but it's not the classic Palahnuik I expected.
Related Links:http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home