Saturday, June 10, 2006

CITIZENS OF TOMORROW
Tokyo Police Club @ the Paperbag Records Showcase
Mod Club Theatre
June 9, 2006

Fern invited me to this XM sponsored, non-NXNE Paperbag Records showcase last night and I jumped at the opportunity to finally see Tokyo Police Club live. I've been mildly obsessed with their debut EP A Lesson In Crime for the last couple months. Their sound is nothing new, but everything about their songs is sooo right, from their quirky organs to their thunderous hand claps. The boys (yup boys, I don't think anyone in the band is over twenty) could potentially be huge, they just need the right push. They've been getting some blog press in NYC, Central Village loves them, and so does Brooklyn Vegan. My advice, book a shitload of shows in NYC right now, and play your hearts out like you did last night. For some reason TPC were first on the bill, I'm guessing because they had to leave early to make their way to their next show (they mentioned where, but I can't remember). Their set was short, but great, they had everyone in attendance on their side. They played their entire EP and I believe a couple new tracks which were similar in style and totally fun.
We stayed for two more bands, Cities In Dust and Uncut. Cities in Dust were good, not really my thing (new rock meets Screamo) but I still enjoyed their set. Uncut's set was great (but when aren't they). We left somewhat early as Fernage had to be up and out of the house early this morning to attend a wedding in Ottawa, so we missed Magneta Lane and Controller.Controller (who we attempted to catch at the earlier show, but there was a mix up with the guestlist). Good times.





You Tube:
TPC If It Works live at the Pavillion on March 23, 2006

TPC's myspace.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TPC is coming to NYC last week of June, I hear...

Tue Jun 20, 08:43:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home