Sunday, September 21, 2008




CUT COPY/THE PRESETS/KORDAN
SEPTEMBER 19, 2008
SOUND ACADEMY

I have to admit, I've been super tardy with my posts.  But better late than never, and I'm going to push myself to update much more frequently.

I have serious reservations in attending this show due to the fact that it was at Sound Academy, formerly The Docks which was probably the worst venue in the city for shows (poor sight lines, terrible sound).  We arrived at the venue just after 8pm, the venue was completely empty, which was perfect because we were able to get a spot right against the barricade.  First thing I noticed was how amazing the music the venue was playing between sets.  We got some Stone Roses, Bloc Party, all good hipster fun.  

Up first was Kordan, a band I had never heard of nor knew anything about.  They hail from Brooklyn (surprise surprise) and aren't really a band, but the one man project of Arthur Eisele. For his live show Arthur brought along a slew of musicians from two other bands unknown to me Savoir Adore and French Horn Rebellion.   Kordan have that familiar 80s Interpol post punk guitar sound mixed with good synths, a sound that I have grown really tired of.  But I loved their set.  A lot.  As much as their sound is super familiar, it still sounded fresh and interesting.  Arthur's songwriting is excellent.  

The Presets were next on the bill and were the sole reason I chose to see Cut Copy again.  I've been waiting to see them live since the release of their incredible sophomore album Apocalypso (which has been on heavy rotation on my iPod all summer). The band consists of two members Julian Hamilton and Kim Moyes, one played synths/samplers and sung, the other played live drums (a great addition to their tunes in a live setting).  They won over the audience right away, and played a equal mix of songs from both releases.  Highlights for me were Girl And The Sea, This Boy's In Love, Are You The One? and My People.  

Cut Copy began their set at 10:45pm, later than anticipated.  And from their first song I realized that I made the right decision seeing them again.  They started their set with Nobody Lost, Nobody Found which the audience sang along too and danced like crazy.  People were really into them, I was kind of thrown back at how insane the audience went (not that I don't love them, but I was surprised at how passionate people where).  From there they went back and forth between albums, playing a high energy set of their 80s driven electro pop.  So Haunted was spellbinding, the shoegaze guitar feedback was intense and beautiful.  And encore closer Hearts On Fire was freakin' incredible.  The New Order reference I made in my last review of theirs still rings true, lead singer Dan Whitford is a dead ringer for Bernard Summer, but is a much better front man.  Their set list was as follows:

Nobody Lost, Nobody Found
Far Away
Time Stands Still
So Haunted
Unforgettable Season
Strangers In The Wind
Zap Zap
That Was Just A Dream
Saturdays
Feel The Love
Out There On The Ice
Lights and Music
Future

Hearts On Fire

Overall I have to say that I'm thrilled that live dance music has progressed to the point where the artists actually "play" live and aren't just stuck behind a bank of electronics.  Cut Copy are one of the best live dance bands I've seen in a long time,  their set is a perfect balance of guitar friendly dance and full on Daft-Punk style electronic.  I really really suggest seeing them live if you love their recorded material, you will not be disappointed. 

1 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

Maybe I am just really out of it, but it's kinda crazy that Cut Copy is playing Sound Academy!

Mon Oct 13, 02:45:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home