Tuesday, January 23, 2007

MY SOUNDTRACK OF 2006
Blacking Out The Friction's Favourite records from the past year. These are the albums that I have listened to the most in the last year. I can't believe it's taken me sooo long to post this. It took me getting sick and not going into work to finally finish it off. Such a slacker!! Oh well, enjoy.



12. Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up, I Am Dreaming - Spencer Krug shines as the front man that everyone knew he was on this release. Similar to Wolf Parade, but less rocking out, Shut Up, I Am Dreaming is a more down tempo, introspective listen. Krug's voice is polarizing, you either love or hate it, I'm a huge fan. Finally going to see them this April when they roll into Lee's with Xiu Xiu.


11. M. Ward - Post-War - I can honestly say that I wasn't a fan of M. Ward's until hearing this album. Mark has raved about him for the past year, but I never gave him the chance. It took me hearing Poison Cup on a television show to spark an interest. And now I'm fully obsessed. Post-War in my opinion is his most commercial sounding album, and I think it was a great way to be introduced to him.


10. The Lovely Feathers - Hind Hind Legs - This album filled the void on my iPod where The Unicorns second album should have been (had they not have broken up, and had I liked the Islands album more). Both bands have a ton in common but don't disregard LF as a knock-off band. Hind Hind Legs stands on its own feet (no pun intended), its full of bash, energetic, fun fueled indie rock tunes.


09. Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites - To say that this album blew me away at first listen is an understatement. Mew have taken the idea of a concept album to new levels and created something both frighteningly aggressive and beautiful at the same time. Lead singer Jonas voice is incredible and the band as a whole are pretty outstanding live.



08. Tiga - Sexor - I've been a huge fan of Tiga for a long time, ever since I heard his tracks on the American Gigalo mix Cds in the early oo's. With Sexor, he's totally come into his own, he now sings on almost all of his tracks and their catchy as fuck. I can't believe this album didn't blow up, with people like MSTRKRFT and Hot Chip being huge, I was sure Tiga would finally get his dues.


07. Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block - This album came out of nowhere and instantly became one of my favourites of the year. I think it's because the songs all sound familiar and have such irresistible choruses. Nothing ground breaking, just straight ahead Swedish indie rock.


06. Joanna Newsom - Ys - Ys is a definite grower, the first time I heard it I liked it, but it definitely took time to love it. It's much more difficult than The Milk-Eyed Mender, it lacks the easily recognizable pop sensibility of her previous work and instead embraces free form style music and narratives. Album opener Emily is simply spellbinding, it showcases Joanna's incredible harp work and exemplifies the genius way that Van Dyke Parks string arrangements can add beauty in a subtle way. I don't think Ys will convert casual listeners into fans, it is a difficult introduction into Newsom's world, but if given the chance, people would see the genius and talent she possesses.



05. Hot Chip - The Warning - This album (as well as the soon to be released LCD Soundsystem record) are proof that DFA haven't lost their production skills. Hot Chip's sophomore disc is chalk full of super fun dance hits that are instant floor fillers. Every club night I've been to in the last six months has featured at least one track by these guys and when their played, people go nutso. I missed their show at Mod Club and still regret it, supposedly they had a live drummer and it was fantastic. The Warning is the perfect marriage of geek indie rock and big beat dance music in a way that it appeals to fans of both genres.



04. The Knife - Silent Shout - It boggles my mind that a band like The Knife are actually considered a Top 40 band in their home country of Sweden. Their music is dark and pretty inaccessible in my opinion. Regardless, Silent Shout is fucking incredible. Take one part Sousie and the Banshees and one part Kraftwerk and you have The Knife. This album really excited me when I first heard it because it was refreshing to hear someone doing something so refreshing in electronic music yet still having a solid base in 80s electro/retro. Silent Shout is the new retro, and I love it. This is the band that I am dying to see, I'm praying for a full North American tour for 2007.



03. Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat - Jenny Lewis has been around the block a couple of times. Child actor (dude, she was the hot chick in Nintendo infomercial film The Wizard), front woman for Rilo Kiley and with the release of Rabbit Fur Coat, a bonafide 70s country music star. On RFC, Lewis channels old school Dolly Parton and Loretta Lynn, but still somehow manages to modernize their sound. She reveals herself as an exceptional songwriter and musician, she's not just a beautiful woman, but a strong, talented artist. She accomplished what every female band member (Amy Milan of Stars, to some extend Emily Haines) wanted to do in 2006, release an incredible country-inspired record to reveals her true talent.


02. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar - Beirut makes music that my deceased eastern European grandfather would have loved. The bastard child of old world gypsy folk mixed with North American indie rock, Gulag Orkestar is a timeless album that the world over would enjoy if given the chance. The myth states that Zach travelled through eastern Europe and learnt to play many of the instruments on the album from the teachings of gypsies. Whether myth or reality, one cannot discount his brilliant songwriter and arrangements.



01. TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain - I have to admit prior to hearing this album I didn't understand the buzz about TVOTR. I just couldn't connect with the material. But after hearing the first four tracks of Cookie Mountain, I instantly fell in love. TVOTR make music that sounds like nothing else in indie rock. Their tunes are an eclectic mix of R&B, bedroom electronic, seaside dreamscapes and punk rock. Wolf Like Me makes me want to learn guitar and start a band. An instant classic.



Honourable Mentions: Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds, Cat Power - The Greatest, I'm From Barcelona - Let Me Introduce My Friends, Henri Faberge and the Adorables - S/T, The Ghost Is Dancing - S/T, Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury, Scissor Sisters - Tah Dah, Malajube - Trompe-L'Oiel, Juana Molina - Son, The Decemberists - The Crane Wife, Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones, Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds, Girl Talk - Night Ripper, Lily Allen - Alright, Still, Band Of Horses - Everything All The Time, Lady Sovereign - Public Warning, Swan Lake - Beast Moans, Xiu Xiu - The Air Force, Lily Allen - Alright Still

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home