Monday, July 02, 2007

THE CN TOWER BELONGS TO THE DEAD



Final Fantasy & Do Make Say Think
Harbourfront Centre
July 1, 2007

I forgot what a mad house Harbourfront Centre turns into when there are free shows. They tend to draw a huge cross section of Toronto, from scenesters to families to older cute couples. We arrived quite early, around 7pm and watched Do Make Say Think run through a brief sound check. The venue was already three quarters full and the crowd seemed pretty excited for the sets to come.

DMST began their set at 8pm sharp. I must preface this by saying that I'm not a follower of the band, I have a couple of their albums but have never fully gotten into them. I'm more of a Godspeed You Black Emperor kind of guy, I prefer the darkness of their music. This was my first time seeing them live, and I enjoyed their set enough, I love the way their tunes build and fall. I think I need to spend more time with their recorded material.

Final Fantasy was by far the draw of the night, the concert band shelter filled to the brim by the time 9:30pm rolled around. I was really interested in seeing Owen in a large venue to see how his music transcends large spaces (typically I've always seen him in small clubs like Tranzac). The material went over really well, I think the show was a great introduction for people unfamiliar with his music. He performed songs from both Has A Good Home and He Poos Clouds, and also previewed a few new tunes, which sound very promising. Highlights of his set were Song, Song, Song, The CN Tower Belongs To The Dead (see video below), The Lamb Sells Condos, and He Poos Clouds. The most amazing part of the show was a collaboration between Owen and DMST on The Arctic Circle which I have never seen live. DMST were the perfect compliment to the song, they created an amazing soar of noise at towards the end of the track. Incredible.

Overall, it was a great night. Couple complaints, the fact that people feel the need to show up right before the show and then stand in the aisles, blocking the view of people sitting. It's annoying. Oh, and the massive amount of traffic in the city after the show was insane. It look us over an hour to get home from our parking spot near the SkyDome.

Ps. I didn't bother taking photos, I was about 5 rows back, and didn't want to battle the crowd to get closer to the stage. Frank aka Mr. Chromewaves was in attendance and in typical fashion, has stunning photos here.

Final Fantasy - The CN Tower Belongs To The Dead (Live at Harbourfront)

1 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

Nice video! That performance was one of my highlights at the show.

Mon Jul 02, 06:04:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home