Monday, November 03, 2008

WHAT I'VE BEEN LISTENING TO THIS MONTH 1.0

Starting a new reoccurring post that I'd like to post every couple of weeks.  Here is what I've been listening to obsessively for the last month or so:

Empire of the Sun is a side-project to the Australian band The Sleepy Jackson and features band member Luke Steele as well as Nick Littlemore of the band Pnau.  They are a bit synth-poppy mixed with 80s dance-pop.  Lead single Walking On A Dream is a gorgeous piece of bedroom dancing fun.  Apparently the band is quite popular in Australia, the album debuted on the Aussie charts at number 8. 




Two years (or was it 3) since the demise of DFA1979,  Sebastien Grainger has finally put out his debut album with The Mountains (via Saddle Creek).  It was well worth the wait, the album is the marriage of 70s classic rock and modern garage.  Good stuff.  Stand out tracks: I Hate My Friends, Love Is Not A Contest



For Fans of: Black Mountain, early Bloc Party minus the dance undertones. 

I instantly fell in love with this album.  Hexes & Ohs debut Bedroom Madness marries all my favourite artists together into a pop smorgasbord that makes me want to dance around my apartment in my underwear. So upbeat and fun.   The album has a tongue in cheek 80s feel but brings in many elements of standard indie rock.  




Everyone's favourite new girl group.  Their getting a ton of ink right now, showed up on Pitchfork's Best New Music, played at least 5 CMJ showcases last month and just made their Toronto debut last week with Fucked Up and Final Fantasy (Update: Thanks to Chuck for pointing out that VG's set opening for Fucked Up wasn't their Toronto debut and that they have played Toronto a couple times this year).  Vivian Girl's album reminds me of Eric'c Trip, if Rick wasn't in the band and Julie brought in a couple of her girlfriends.  Raw, loud and melodic, tons of fuzzy distortion and perfect 60s girl group harmonizing.  Love them so much.  Favourite tracks: All The Time, I Believe In Nothing,  Tell The World.


1 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Vivian Girls are indeed awesome, but FU Weekend was far from their debut.....they opened for TVOTR at the Phoenix, then I believe they came back to play at Sneaky's a month or so later.

Tue Nov 04, 09:21:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home