Tuesday, June 27, 2006

6/24 SHORELINE



Broken Social Scene w Raising The Fawn, J.Mascis, Feist and Bloc Party
Olympic Island
June 24, 2006

I'm probably the last of the T.O bloggers to post about last Saturday's Olympic Island show featuring Raising The Fawn, Broken Mascis Scene, Feist, Bloc Party and Broken Social Scene. We got down to the ferry docks at 2:30pm and had to wait for about an hour to get over to the island. We missed Raising The Fawn's entire set, but according to other blogger reviews, they played a good set. We were all pretty hungry (I took the syblings and my BFF Shauna joined us) so we hit the food booth for half-cooked hot dogs (yup, still cold on the inside). While in line, Broken Mascis Scene began their set with "Feel The Pain", and I melted on the inside. We scarfed our dogs, and Shauna and I headed into the beer garden for a much needed break from the heat. We met up with the kids for Feist's set. I have to admit, I was slightly underwhelmed by her performance. Maybe it was the fact that we didnt bother getting too close to the stage, but I felt that her tunes didn't transform well live in such a large space. It seemed like background music to me. I'll have to check her out next time she plays a smaller show in the city, maybe then, I'll enjoy her set. Between Feist and Bloc Party's set, we moved wayyy up, about ten feet from the stage. Bloc Party's set was incredible, it was my second time seeing them (saw them at the Opera House in April 2005) and they were even better this time. Kele is such a likeable frontman, he's bubbling full of smiles. They played a couple new tunes from their forthcoming sophmore release which were darker than Silent Alarm, they have an early New Order sound. The highlight of their set was closer Helicopter which got the crowd dancing.
What can be said about BSS performance that hasn't already been said by others. It was epic.






For truly brilliant pictures, see Look Out Kid/Sucking A Lemon and Rock/Paper/Pixels.
Both also have reviews.

Janice over at Just Keep Bloggin' was also in attendance. Oh and she met Feist. Read about it here.

Now Magazine feels the same way I do about Bloc Party's set.

Finally I've been able to post our pics from the show. All photos by the lovely Shauna Patterson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home