Thursday, November 27, 2008


M83/School of Seven Bells
The Opera House
November 20, 2008

Why is it that every time I go to the Opera House for a concert, I'm sick? It's becoming a bit of a hex.  Arrived at the venue at 9pm just in time to catch School Of Seven Bells.  There has been quite a lot of press about them as of late, their debut album Alpinisms was recently released and it's alright.  I don't love it, I find it a bit repetitive in a sense that many of the tracks sound very similar.  Plus, not really loving the vocals.  But I can't discount how great the song Half Asleep is.  Their live show was similar in my opinion to their album, each song bled into the other and kinda felt like one long song.  Maybe it was because I was sick and my attention span was affected by the cold meds.  Maybe I just hated the lead singer's bangs.  Not sure which one.
I saw M83 last time they came through the city at Mod Club.  I was lazy and didn't write up a review.  But it would have been similar to this one, both shows (well the first one really) were much better than I anticipated.  I have been a passive fan of the band since their (or his...) debut was released but became obsessed after hearing Saturdays = Youth.  Not only did I fall in love with the disgustingly fashionable cover of the record, but lead single Couleurs became one of may unofficial theme songs of the summer.  It's the perfect blend of soaring guitars and early 90s dance.   Anthony Gonzalez and his touring band played a great mix of material pulled from the new album as well as the fantastic Before The Dawn Heals Us.
One thing that must be noted is the use of pre-recorded vocals in a couple songs.  Some think this is uber cheesy, me I think its endearing, he can get away with it because he's french and maybe he doesn't know better.  Highlights of the show: Teen Angst, Asterick, Moonchild, Graveyard Girl and set closer Couleurs.  To be completely honest, the sole reason of seeing them a second time on this tour was to witness the brilliance of Couleurs live.  Watch the live clip from their show in May in San Fran below.  It's pretty great and has a New Order feel to it. Overall, a great show, even if I was in a bit of a sinus infection haze. 

Photo via Flickr by Pixagen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home