Wednesday, December 31, 2008

BEST CONCERTS OF 2008
This year was a relatively slow year concert-wise for me. Tons of bands came through the city, and somehow I managed to miss a bunch of amazing shows. I missed Hercules & Love Affair at Opera House, Bon Iver at the El Mocambo and My Bloody Valentine at Kool Haus. Regardless, I still caught some good ones. Here is the list of my favourite shows.
5. Girl Talk - Kool Haus
"Another review that slipped through the cracks. This show was a last minute deal, a friend had an extra ticket so I decided to go. Greg Gillis knows how to throw a house party, even if said party is taking place in a 3000+ capacity venue. Feed The Animals is a mash-up masterpiece, and live it's even better. Everything about this night was perfect, the tunes, venue and the crowd."
"One thing that must be noted is the use of pre-recorded vocals in a couple songs. Some think this is uber cheesy, me I think its endearing, he can get away with it because he's french and maybe he doesn't know better. Highlights of the show: Teen Angst, Asterick, Moonchild, Graveyard Girl and set closer Couleurs. To be completely honest, the sole reason of seeing them a second time on this tour was to witness the brilliance of Couleurs live3.
3. Radiohead/Grizzly Bear - Molson Ampitheatre - Review Here
"I have to admit, I'm not the hugest fan of their last two albums (Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows), I like about 3 or 4 tracks off each album. I miss their more electronic stuff (circa Kid A). They opened with 15 Step, one of the songs off IR that I love. Thom did his little jig, it was endearing. Their setlist heavily pulled from the last two albums but they sprinkled in a couple old tracks into the mix such as Climbing Up The Walls, Paranoid Android, Planet Telex (shocking!) and my favourite Talk Show Host."
"Didn't review this show at the time, but in retrospect, I should have. Thunderheist were far better live than I anticipated, I've had their promo EP on my iPod for over a year, love it, but never chose to see them live. Isis is an amazing MC, she totally engaged the crowd (who seemed unfamiliar with the band) and brought an amazing energy to the stage. And she rapped over Lil' Wayne's A Milli, one of my favourite songs of 2008. Crystal Castles created a Jonas Brothers-style mob scene. I was about three rows from the stage and by the time Alice and Ethan began their set, every inch of standing room around the stage was full, there were people standing on the seats, on the floor in between the seats and in the aisles. Being so close it was hard not to get wrapped up in their set, Alice is an insane front woman, she danced and threw herself around the stage like a maniac. Ethan's beats sounded as good as they do on the album, and the addition of a live drummer was a great touch. It felt like seeing something really special and being part of something. They played all the hits including Alice Practice, Courtship Dating and Crimewave. That being said, talking to friends that showed up late (and that were positioned at the back of the ampitheatre) they really didn't like the show. Apparently from the back Alice's vocals were inaudible and the music was all distorted. Thunderheist play a free show at Nathan Phillips Square on Saturday January 31st. Their debut Diplo-produced album is still TBO. Crystal Castles are playing two shows in Brooklyn tonight then off to Australia for a string of dates."
1. Cut Copy/The Presets - Sound Academy - Review here
"Overall I have to say that I'm thrilled that live dance music has progressed to the point where the artists actually "play" live and aren't just stuck behind a bank of electronics. Cut Copy are one of the best live dance bands I've seen in a long time, their set is a perfect balance of guitar friendly dance and full on Daft-Punk style electronic."

1 Comments:

Blogger the one tashish said...

quick correction: Thunderheist's debut album is not produced by Diplo. It was produced by Grahm Zilla, one half of the band. Coming out on Big Dada on Mar 31.

Sat Jan 03, 06:29:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home