Saturday, July 08, 2006

WORKING OUT THE WORDS


The Beating Heart feat. The Diableros, Magneta Lane
July 7, 2006
Mississauga Central Library Gardens

Although there was a pleather of choices for shows last night, Fern and I opted to head out to the suburbs to catch The Diableros and Magneta Lane at the first installement of The Beating Heart music series. It's great to see that indie showcases like The Beating Heart can exist in the 'burbs, something like this could have never existed in my hometown when I was growing up. The gardens/park where the series takes place is perfect, a large grass expanse for sitting, and tons of free parking across the street at Square One.
Arrived at the tail end of Kover's set, and let's just say that they aren't my cup of tea. Magneta Lane were up next and it was my first time seeing them live. I can't say that I'm a massive fan, I like Dancing With Daggers enough, but I must say that I was alittle underwhelmed with their live performance. It was sloppy and the mix was all off, vocals were really low and the guitar kept echoing. They played a 40 minute set, people seemed to enjoy it. Half the people in attendance seemed to clear out after Magneta Lane, which is surprising since my one reason for attending was to catch The Diableros. They closed the evening with a very strong set. Opening with Working Out The Words, I was surprised how well their material transforms live. Although it has been said that the fuzzy production of You Can't Break The Strings Of Our Olympic Hearts is prevalent live, last night I found their set to be much more crisp than ever before. Maybe it was the fact that the show was outside. Regardless, they were incredible and are well deserving of their recent 8.4 review rating by Pitchfork. These kids are destined for big things. Could they be the next CYHSY in terms of fork driven media hype? My guess is for sure.





Check out the rest of my photos here.

Ps. This is the first show that I've used my new camera (Fuji Finepix F30). Not only is the camera amazing for low light situations, I was also blessed with a really bright stage.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos. Just curious but were those taken using the Auto mode and no flash, or did you adjust any of the settings at all? Wish I could have gone to see The Diableros since I live in Mississauga(but of course I was at the Wilco show) - I was however fortunate to catch Magneta Lane at the Celebrate Toronto Festival on Saturday.

Mon Jul 10, 09:00:00 a.m.  
Blogger Daniel Josef said...

Mike,

Yeah, I had the camera set to AUTO for most of the pictures, no flash (the stage was really bright). Towards the end of both sets, I switched over to manual and set the ISO really high (1600 and 3200).

Will you be checking out Femme Generation friday? I think I may be going with a couple friends, I do live downtown, but on the west side, which makes for a 20 minute drive to Mississauga.

Mon Jul 10, 10:13:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are some nice pics, glad the F30 is working out for you. Will be more interested to see how it fares at, say, the Horseshoe though...

Mon Jul 10, 01:40:00 p.m.  
Blogger Daniel Josef said...

Thanks Frank,

Yeah, I can't wait to try it out indoors at a show...I've tested it in my apartment, and it seems to handle low light pretty well. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Mon Jul 10, 02:00:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home